Thursday, August 04, 2005

View From Australia repost

Friday, August 5, 2005
 
I am in Australia. One of the allies in the War against Terror.

It is interesting. In social settings eventually the  discussion gets around
to politics. In every situation from farmers to  Solicitors the same questions
always come up. 'Why did Americans elect Bush for a second term?'. 'Why are
you allowing the Religious extremist run your country?'

No one is for the war and all think it was a mistake to invade Iraq. All are
stating that the sooner the Australian army is out of Iraq the better. All
however feel that the invasion into Afghanistan was just.

I try to explain that not everyone believes in the war in Iraq. That we are a
Democracy and that the Majority of the people voted based  on misplaced
Patriotism rather than common sense. I tell them that anyone  who questioned the
invasion was called un-American and a traitor to the country  so few opposed the
invasion. That Bush won on one of the slimmest percentage  margins in history
and that is why it went down to just the votes in one state Ohio.

Still they look at me and ask 'Why aren't Americans aware of the facts?'
'Saddam wasn't the enemy, the enemy was in Afghanistan, not Iraq.' 'America is
killing innocent Iraqis by having the war in Iraq rather than Afghanistan.'

Then some say this, as a reason for the war. 'You know  it is all about the
oil. Look at the Sudan, they have no oil so America does not help them.'

All I can say is that I am an American. That I believe  in my Country and
what it stands for. That we have a leader who has led us  astray and we have
people who follow him because they are misguided by his use  of religion and
Patriotism.

To this they respond if Americans are not careful we  could see the beginning
of another dark age if a war is begun between the  Christians and the
Muslims. They say that our religious zealots are as bad if  not worst than the
Taliban and al qaida. That America is becoming it's own worst enemy.

I sit and I listen. The news here is of a different view. I listen to Muslim
leaders talk about how the Koran is a book a peace.  That a fringe group of
Muslims are using the Koran wrongly to inspire war and hatred. I listen as the
Muslim leaders repeat over and over how they condemn the  violence, and that
it is important NOT to blame Muslims for the war.

Then I listen to the Religious based hate from Bush  supporters and I see the
true danger to this country. I just hope others see it also before it is too late.

Sean Lewis
VirtualTruth
OpenDebateForum

Malanda Australia

 
Time will tell all the truth.

VT

No comments: